Wednesday, January 27, 2010

picasso - war and peace




Tonight I worked in my sketchbook on the third issue of Reading War and Peace.

The opening scene that developed was myself having a conversation with one of the book's characters, which degenerates into a slight argument before calming to friendly mockery.

While creating it, I was not sure how I felt about the way the scene progressed.

Earlier this week I went to the library and checked out nine books, many of them large hard-bound art books.
Several volumes of Matisse, a gigantic Andy Warhol retrospective, and the sketchbooks of Picasso.

When I got home this evening, I opened the Picasso book and the first thing I saw was this quote, of all things relating to a series of his work entitled, War and Peace:


"When I worked at the painting War and Peace and the series of drawings, I picked up my sketchbooks daily, saying to myself: 'What will I learn of myself that I didn't know?' And when it isn't me anymore who is talking but the drawings I made, and when they escape and mock me, then I know I've achieved my goal."


I think I am on the right path.

No comments: